Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How did I get here?

Growing up as a coach's kid, I always expected to get a Division I scholarship. To be completely honest, I thought it would be easy. The arrogance and self-confidence that was in me during high school was never too much to turn people away but just enough that they could see that I had bigger plans on my mind (at least that's the perception I think I gave off). When I moved to Pennsylvania my junior year I thought the college recruiting process was going to take off. Why wouldn't it? I had started every game but one at my high school in TX and showed out at a summer team camp. But for some odd reason those "big time schools" that I thought were going to be knocking down my door never showed up. Junior year passed, and unlike the rest of my classmates I hadn't even thought about applying to colleges. "Apply? For what? I'm getting a scholarship," was the only thought going through my mind (even though I didn't have a single offer). Fall ends and my senior year of basketball starts and naturally I have a little chip on my shoulder. You would think leading your team in scoring, rebounding, and blocks during a State Championship year would warrant at least a couple of D-I offers, but He didn't work things out for me that way. Dazed and confused I scrambled for an opportunity only to have door after door close. Now here I am with no options to pursue higher education or a higher level in the sport I love. But isn't it a blessing how the Lord works.

I never doubted that God would place me where I need to be.

During all my sulking, complaining, and confusion I get a phone call from an assistant coach at George Mason University. It just so happens the summer before my senior year started, my father stopped by campus during a recruiting trip (for football) and dropped off my highlight tape to the coaching staff. Even though it didn't happen until the Spring (after my senior season was over) the offer I had prayed for and wanted since I picked up a ball at the age of 5 was there.

The Lord humbled me, broke me down until I had no one to lean on but Him. And he placed me at a university that allowed me to get an education, play in the Final Four, and catch the eye of coaches all the way in the Philippines who eventually got my professional career started.

God is Good...and He isn't done with me yet...

1 comment:

  1. a humbling experience indeed!
    i guess some things just don't happen the way we want them to...but GOD has plans for each one of us.
    just keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete